Skip to main content


Refund Process

If your financial aid and/or payments are more than your institutional charges, you will be refunded the difference. We strive to process refunds as quickly as possible.

Registered students will receive an email with instructions on how to establish an account. If you do not receive an email or lose your email, you can register by visiting

The fastest way to receive your refund is through ACH (direct deposit) to a U.S. bank account. Once you are registered, the eRefund system is available for you to check the status of your refund, view eRefund history, update your profile or change your payment method.

If you have any questions or need help, please check the FAQs below or call 888-425-1138.

What Are My Refund Options?

Sometimes your refund method depends on the most recent payment on your account.

Return to Top of Page

When Should I Expect My Refund for the Fall 2019 Semester?

Financial aid disburses 10 days prior to the first day of the fall or spring semesters if it is ready to pay (no unsatisfied requirements). Use the Checklists page to make sure your financial aid is ready.

For fall 2019, aid will disburse as payment toward your fall bill on August 11. If your payments and aid are more than your institutional charges, the refund process will begin. Refunds may be available in bank accounts on or around Saturday, August 17 (for those who signed up for direct deposit by August 9).

Return to Top of Page

What Happens if I Do Not Choose a Refund Option?

If an option has not been chosen and you are due a refund, the system automatically defaults to a paper check that will be mailed to your local address in the STAR system (which you can access and update via your WVU Portal).

Return to Top of Page

How Do I Change the Address That the Paper Check Refund Will Be Sent to?

Update your address in the STAR system (which you can access via your WVU Portal) and this information will be transmitted to the eRefund system the next business day (cutoff time for changes is 2:30 p.m.).

Return to Top of Page

How Do I Change My Refund Preference?

Log into and change your preference. If a refund is already in process, it will go to the current selected method. Once the method is changed, then any new refunds will be the new preference selected.

Return to Top of Page

What Do I Do if My Student ID Is Not Working to Create My Account?

Review your Authentication questions to make sure you are answering them correctly. If that still doesn’t work, call 888-425-1138 for assistance.

Return to Top of Page

What if I Am Having Issues Logging into My Account?

You may encounter an issue logging in from work computers or other public computers. Try logging in from your home computer. If it still does not let you in, call 888-425-1138 for assistance.

Return to Top of Page

My Direct Deposit Returned for Account Not Found, so I Updated My Information. What Do I Do Now?

Once your information has been updated, your refund request will be resubmitted within 24-48 business hours.

Return to Top of Page

I'm a Parent Who Is Due a Refund from a Parent PLUS Loan. What Is My Parent ID Number for Direct Deposit?

Parents due a refund from Parent PLUS Loan funds remaining after institutional charges have been paid can choose to sign up for direct deposit at

Before a parent borrower can sign up:

After the PLUS application is received and processed, the parent borrower will receive a registration email from usually within 3 business days if the criteria above have been met. If you lost the registration email, don't worry! You can go to and attempt to log in with the email address listed on the Parent PLUS Loan application or click the "Resend Registration Link" under the login button.

To sign up, the parent borrower will need their Parent ID Number. This ID number consists of the following: Student ID number + Parent First Initial + Parent Last Initial + Parent date of birth as MMYY.

Please note that depending on various factors – such as your student’s other financial aid – a refund may be generated to your student based on remaining funds from their other financial aid and/or you based on remaining PLUS loan funds after institutional charges have been paid. If there are PLUS loan funds remaining after the balance due is paid, you may receive a refund. Please note this applies specifically to situations where there are PLUS loan funds remaining after the balance is paid. It is possible that a refund could be generated to your student instead because the refund is caused by other financial aid – such as institutional or state scholarships or grants – instead of the PLUS Loan.

Also, please remember that as part of your loan application, you affirmed that your PLUS funds would be used for your student’s educational expenses. Educational expenses may include tuition and fees; on-campus room and board (or a reasonable housing and food allowance for off-campus students); and books, supplies, transportation (excluding car payments), loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care. It can also include other expenses like an allowance for the rental or one-time purchase of a personal computer, costs related to a disability not covered by other funds, or costs for eligible study-abroad programs.

Return to Top of Page

Is My Tuition Reduced if I Drop Classes?

It depends. Students who withdraw from classes during certain time frames may be entitled to a reduction of all or a portion of their tuition, depending on the length of the class, date of withdrawal, and how many credit hours the student is enrolled in. See the Withdrawal page for more information.

Return to Top of Page

Who Does WVU Partner with for Refunding Services?

WVU partners with Tuition Management Systems, LLC to provide refund services to WVU students.

Per Department of Education Regulations for Cash Management (34 CFR 668), below is WVU’s contract with Tuition Management Systems.

View the Tuition Management Systems contract.

Return to Top of Page